Saturday, July 5, 2008

Patriotic Pancakes


My husband made pancakes shaped like the United States of America for breakfast on the 4th of July.

I finished the harp case last night, so that marks the end of another major project! And now, for my next trick, I will draft a 120 page post-apocalyptic science fiction novel for 9-12 year old readers in less than two months.

Now that I have a satisfactory plot in mind and some solid character development hammered out, I feel like I could just sit down and write the whole thing. It surprised me to discover that after a certain point in the development process the scenes and dialog simply flowed into my head the way they always do, even though this is a fresh new world with fresh new characters I have never worked with before. I wake up in the morning and have exciting new ideas, just like I did for my other books. On top of that, this time I've had so much fun researching Titan II missile silos, anthrax, and asteroid deflection techniques. Maybe I'll stick to science fiction from now on!

6 comments:

Kathy said...

what a great pancake idea! I loved it! and they looked so professionally done ... Wow!

can't wait to read some of your story, becka. are you going to share it at all during the creation process? sometimes i know it is probably better to not muddy the waters with a bunch of outside "opinions" while you are working on it. too easy to lose your own focus, especially on a shorter project like this. sounds like you are off to a great start!

Kira said...

Love the US pancakes! How completely fabulous!!! :) And I can't wait to hear how the work on the story is coming along, that's so fun! :)

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

I will want a few test readers before I send it in, so let me know if you'd be interested.

Teric said...

*raises his hand* I'm interested!

Kimbooly said...

I just watched a great old Alfred Hitchcock hour on Anthrax. It's on nbc.com, and it's the episode just before "The Lonely Hours," which is also a really cool episode to me because it has a young Gena Rowlands in it. Anyway, it's called Diagnosis: Danger. I love the way the chief health commissioner handles the anthrax case all the way through. He's a great actor. I also love the way the young doctor handles a young girl who got bit by a dog who had rabies when he has to give her antibiotic shots. It's a tiny side story at the beginning, but I loved it so much I pulled it up just to show Rob that clip.

To watch it, go to nbc.com, and click across from Alfred Hitchcock where it says full episodes and has an arrow circle. If you click on the left, on the actual name, I think it just takes you to a Hitchcock website.

Frozen Cacti said...

Those are some seriously cool pancakes. That art!

I'd like to be a test reader. Pick me. Pick me.