Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Your Security Certificate Has Expired

I couldn't get gmail to work on my computer this afternoon. Firefox kept telling me the site wasn't secure. Baloney! I uninstalled Firefox and tried again, just in case something had gotten buggy.

It still didn't work! Even with a fresh, newly down-loaded version of Firefox.

My husband came over to help. In the "Untrusted Connection" window, he clicked on the technical details. Here's what it told us:

www.google.com uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate expired on 3/27/2010 3:20 PM.

"Expired in 2010? It hasn't expired yet! What's it talking about?" I asked.
My husband suggested, "Looks like we have a problem with the computer's internal clock."
"Oh!" I moaned and buried my face in my hands. "That's it! I set the date to June 2086! That's when my book happens, and I wanted to know what dates went with what days of the week."

So if I didn't answer your e-mail today, it's only because I left my computer 77 years in the future.

2 comments:

becbloggin said...

too funny! :)

Kathy said...

I agree! It's so funny that it deserves a TV spot or something... "writer confuses own computer by setting it to behave as if it were operating in book time rather than real time"