Wednesday, March 23, 2011

An Evening of Irish Music



Some things happen like magic.

The first time I played my harp in church here in our new home in Hawaii, a member of the congregation came up and introduced himself as a Celtic guitar player. He said he knew someone who played whistle, and we agreed it would be fun to put together a group. Turns out he knew a violinist too, and so a few months later we started rehearsing for our first gig at the Kahuku Public Library.

When I moved to Hawaii, I had no idea that I would find my own Irish folk band all living in my new neighborhood.

Hope you enjoyed this sample of music from our first performance last night.

One of the people who came last night was a visitor from New York, of Irish decent. He laughed when he told us he never expected to hear Irish music played on the north shore. Me neither! That's the magic.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful, beautiful music! Your talents never cease to amaze me! Wish I could have been there to clap and cheer! Miss you guys!
Love, Patti

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

Thanks, Patti! I'm looking forward to hearing how we sound next year.

Kathy said...

Glorious, m'darlins! What fun, and yes, indeed a magical happening at the library in Laie!

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

Thanks. I've been so excited about this. When the tsunami warning came I made sure to grab my harp and my sheet music so that even if my house washed away I'd still be able to play at the library in honor of St. Patty's day.

bec said...

i LOVE to read about all the adventures you are having in hawaii. i am so happy for you and your family and ALL the fun things you are doing

Unknown said...

This is so cool! What a neat experience! Thanks for sharing!