Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Stuck on Chapter 6

Five chapters, 14,696 words, and now I'm stuck! I wrote the first paragraph of the next chapter and then deleted it. Then I tried an entirely different direction, wrote another sentence, and deleted that too.

I'm at my first major crossroads in the book. I have laid down almost all of the pieces of the story, now I have to start putting things in motion. I'm constantly fighting the temptation to read back over what I've written. I know what I've written. I just wrote it. I don't think re-reading it will help me. I must look forward!

I didn't waste my writing time today. I did some more research. Maybe I have been so busy lately I haven't had enough time to think about what I'm going to write next. I'll get it.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

sometimes the egg has to sit in a warm place before it hatches - i'm sure it will happen for you, Becka!

Teric said...

I find myself quite often reading over what I've already written. Even though I just wrote it, it still helps me to 're-see' the scene in my head, so I can sit back and watch what the characters do next.

Plus it also gives me a chance to correct a few typos or word groupings here & there.

Frozen Cacti said...

Nicely put Kathy!

Are you working on the same novel that the person at the writing workshop said not to look at for six months?

It will come. Who knows maybe you'll have a dream about what to write next and it will end up being such a great book that Hollywood will want to make a movie...dream.

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

No, Diana, that novel is in a box in my garage. I'm working on the new novel that the editor from Harper Collins said she wanted to see when it was finished.

Frozen Cacti said...

Oh. Well no pressure there!

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

No pressure at all!

I've decided to think of it this way: the book I am working on right now has the best chance I could possibly hope for to end up in print some day.