Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What's The Rush?

Last week I was in an all-fired hurry to get my first three chapters off to the editor.

Now I'm thinking I need to take my time.

I like my book, but it still feels a little thin. I think that everything I need is in there, I just haven't brought it all out yet. I especially want to work on the pacing and tension.

One of my major concerns is that no one under the age of 12 has been able to finish reading the book yet. Anyone like to hazard a guess as to why?

4 comments:

Zaboo said...

Needs more action to keep the youngsters interested. And more mischief. No kid likes to read about an obedient and nice kid!

ladyrach14 said...

Attention spans poisoned by too many commercials and fast-paced cartoons? Being raised in a culture of apathy? Harry Potter? Sponge Bob? Take your pick.

But who are your pre-teen guinea pigs? Your kids don't have those problems.

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

My daughter read it and liked it. She chants, "send it in, mom!" whenever I whine about not knowing if it is ready.

On the other hand, my boys, 11 and 9, started it but did not finish. Granted there are lots more entertaining things to read in the house,like Calvin and Hobbes.

You may be right, Che, but it doesn't work with my story if Nathan is one of those mouthy mischief makers.

Unknown said...

Maybe pictures? Is nine to eleven really the age you are intending to grab, or is it 12? I think you're expecting too much of the boys, at that age, what boys are readers? Aren't they busy messing up the house, being bored, hungry, or waiting to be entertained.