Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Rebecca's Reviews: One Magic Christmas

While you're all snowed in due to the marvelous winter weather we've been having, I recommend watching this marvelous family film. You'll recognize the parallels to "It's a Wonderful Life," but the film "One Magic Christmas" carries its own weight. The last time I saw this film I was too young to appreciate the great writing and the surprisingly honest characters. It is the story of a young mother who can't find the Christmas spirit. Hard to blame her since her husband was laid off from work six months ago and their family is being forced to move out of their home in a week. But through a series of tragic events, and through the courage and faith of her seven-year-old daughter, she realizes what's really important and learns that having her own Christmas spirit can make a big difference.

In today's gloomy economic climate, the film is poignantly relevant. If you've seen it before, watch it again. If you haven't seen it, check it out!

Merry Christmas, everyone! Happy Snow Day!

And if you haven't seen this film, watch out, there's a minefield of spoilers posted in the comments (yes, Kimberly, you're still my favorite person of the day, too).

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd never even heard of this movie before--thanks for the rec! (and, btw, I so wish I had some of that wintery weather...I sometimes hate the South!)

Kimbooly said...

Is this the one with the angel Gabriel, and she ends up losing her husband and her kids in one day, and then later gets to go back and re-live it just by giving money to a guy at a gas station, knowing that otherwise the guy will end up holding up the bank she works at, shoot her husband, and take off in her car which has her kids in it?

If it is, I've been looking for this movie FOR YEARS! I saw it growing up, and LOVED it, but didn't know the name of it, and no one at Blockbuster could ever help me out.

Kimbooly said...

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

It is it is it is it is! Rebecca, you found me my long lost movie! I just looked it up on Amazon.com. I never knew the names of the actors, nor the name of the movie. I kept going to blockbuster as an adult and explaining about the angel Gideon, and the lights turning off on their street, and no one knew what I was talking about!

I love you! You are my favorite person for the very rest of today!!!

Though I'm bummed that Netflix doesn't have it listed as one of their movies; bummer! Maybe we'll just buy it.

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

Glad to have helped, Kimberly, but I tried to write my review so as not to spoil the ending. The film is so well done you can't really guess that it is all going to turn out fine in the end.

And do buy it! We should support great art wherever it is found.

Kimbooly said...

I'm so sorry, you're right. I was so excited this this might be the movie I've been looking for for years, that I completely spilled the beans. My point was to give enough info that you would know if it was the same movie, but after I commented, I went and looked up the movie title at Amazon.com, and saw that it was indeed. So if I had not been so quick to comment lots of questions about movie specifics, I wouldn't have given away the ending. I apologize! Sorry, commenters; don't read my comments, and just go out and find this movie.

One of the things I loved about this movie is that life is all about perspective. When you see a situation through a diff. lens, it often doesn't seem as big, terrible, and dramatic as it feels in the moment. And I think you got that point across by saying this is a good movie to watch in the economic downturn we are experiencing (which, in my opinion, is simply major inflation adjusting itself back down to its real value).