Friday, May 1, 2009

Practical Pandemic Preparation

Apocalypse fans haven't given up yet, but it looks like the current swine flu outbreak isn't going to be The Big One.

It is, however, a good reminder to get ready. We all know it's coming someday. Besides having several weeks of food and basic supplies set aside in case I want to avoid breathing in germs at the Wal-Mart, I like to have a simple flu kit for home care.

Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen, Diphenhydramine (Benadryl), and antacids are all helpful to alleviate flu symptoms. I have enough of each of these for maximum dosage for two weeks per person in my household. I also have some sugar and salt on hand to make oral rehydration solution. The recipe is: 1 quart water, 3 Tbsp honey or sugar, and 1/4 tsp salt. Dehydration kills flu victims that would otherwise recover - keep hydrated! Of course you should call your doctor if you get the flu - he or she will tell you how much of everything you can take and help you decide if you need to go to the hospital or not.

I made up my last flu kit during the bird flu scare a few years ago. Everything in it was expired, so I bought a fresh batch today at Costco. Cost me all of $26.07 for all the OTC meds I needed for seven people. It's simple. Be prepared.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

great advice, Rebecca! "if ye are prepared, ye shall not fear" ;-)

Unknown said...

Very cool!

A bit off topic, but have you seen this hoax zombie-fied version of the swine flu? It had me cracking up!

http://bouncewith.me.uk/europe/8027043.htm