Saturday, July 11, 2009

Winding My Clock

One of my favorite things in all this world is my antique mechanical clock, which came to me from my grandparents' ranch house in California. It winds up. No batteries, no electric cord. Every day I tighten the springs with a key. It takes me a few seconds, and leaves the clock ticking happily all day long, chiming the hours.

It used to be a good gauge of how much stress I had in my life. When the clock ran down I knew I'd been too preoccupied to remember to wind it.

Last week I wound it up for the first time in over a year. Now it is sharing its music with us again.

It was a rough year!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I have a cuckoo clock from my grandmother's house and I feel the same way about it when I have to pull the weights down to fire it up again. I love that it reminds me everyday to slow down and remember things! I hope your life slows down and your clock stays wound.

Kathy said...

wow, rebecca! what a revealing moment for you when you wound that beauty up again. i hope you could feel how it made both you & the clock happier - the clock to be useful again & you to be more at peace again...