Friday, September 3, 2010

I Could Get Used to This

Two weeks ago my youngest child started Kindergarten. It has been an adjustment. Several times a day I'll twitch, "WHERE'S THE KID?" because I haven't heard from him recently. Such silence used to mean scribbles on the wall or all the towels pulled out of the linen closet. Now it means he's safe at school, learning songs about the days of the week and the months of the year.

Today I walked down to the farmer's market, ALL BY MYSELF. I bought two tomatoes and a ripe papaya. Then, on my way home, I saw a book shop. And I went in.

You don't know how crazy this is unless you're used to having a small child, or multiple small children, as constant companion. I would never go in a shop unless I absolutely had to. Too much stress.

But today I sat on a bench and looked at books. That's all. No glancing over my shoulder every ten seconds to verify the location of a child.

After I browsed the book shop for as long as I felt like it, I went home and ate my papaya for lunch.

I could get used to this.

4 comments:

bec said...

YAY! :)

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

Oh you have no idea how used to it you will get! So in love with it, so enamored with the silence, the peace, that when summer arrives next year you will think you have lost your mind. (just a small warning from one who's been there)

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

It is probably an unnatural state of being for a woman my age, compared to generations ago. I don't feel like an adult anymore when the kids are all out of the house.

LisaAnn said...

Oh, how lovely that sounds! I WILL NOT take my youngest children (still at home) shopping with me. I value my sanity far too greatly for such a task.

Enjoy the peace and quiet!