Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Dremel is Mightier than the Sword

I love my Dremel.

My first chance to handle a Dremel came when my friend Heidi loaned me one so that I could cut notches in the pins for my very first harp. The ceramic cutting wheel sliced into the little aluminum rods like they were butter. I didn't want to give the Dremel back.

That year for my birthday, my husband surprised me with one of my very own. I don't know how I ever survived without it. I certainly couldn't build harps without it. I use it to take the band saw marks off the pieces, smooth out the curves, and rout the grooves for the soundboard. This time I'm even using it to make decorative edges on the feet and crosspieces. Here are the feet, one with the edge routed and one without so that you can see the difference:

2 comments:

Teric said...

Mmmmmm power toooools. :P

Looks good, Rebecca! I'm very impressed that you have the drive and skill to build your own harps.

Mary said...

There is something about power tools cutting through wood like butter! I love my electric knife for this reason too!(except it cuts food)