Friday, April 25, 2008

Happy Birthday! It's the End of the World!

A good friend of mine took me out to breakfast for my birthday. She's a great storyteller, and I loved sitting there listening to her relate the adventures of her family and friends. I sat riveted as she told me about the time her brother had to land a 747 on a one-lane country road because of engine trouble. And then the conversation turned to the fact that there are no bananas at Costco.

"In Los Angeles, Costco is limiting the amount of flour, beans, and rice that people can buy," she told me, wide-eyed. "On the radio I heard some Wall Street guy say that we need to plant our gardens and get our food in because our entire way of life will end before the year is out."

I'm getting scared. Then she tells me how there's a butter shortage in Japan (to me this seems akin to having a kimchee shortage in El Paso), and how President Bush has been asking the media to cover up all these shortages so as not to incite panic.

"I just don't know why all of this isn't on the national news!" she tells me.

What I think but don't say is that the news is here to tell us what has happened, not predict what is going to happen. I assume that if industrial civilization does collapse, it will be on national television.

While she tells me how she and her husband are going to sell their house and move out to the country before the riots begin, I remind myself that I've already got enough wheat, beans, and rice stored under the beds to feed my family for a year. I guess if the starving rioters come I can hand them each a can of wheat kernels, like they'd know what to do with it.

So if industrial civilization does collapse, I'll just say farewell in advance, dear blog readers, though it is my opinion that if Americans learned to use public transportation instead of commuting to work in their SUV's, there would be plenty of gasoline left for the food trucks. Have a nice day!

4 comments:

Mary said...

The end is here cause food now costs what it costs in other countries and gasoline is half the price it is in Europe.

Butter shortage in Japan? HUH?

Teric said...

"It's the end of the world as we know it!"

Honestly, there have been doom-sayers for centuries. And this is not the first economic downturn the world has been through, nor will it be the last.

Father knows what he's doing, and as long as we obey his commandments, we'll be okay.

I must admit, however, that I am fairly amused by some of the stories the doom-sayers come up with.

Kira said...

That is some pretty scary stuff! Remember back in 2000? When people were freaked out then too? I think it will come, but it seems there is still a lot more to happen before we're there. In the meantime, it's good to keep on our toes and get food storage. :)

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

I wasn't really that scared, but I did spend the afternoon going through the 72 hour kits and I had Russel cash the music lesson checks instead of depositing them.