Friday, April 16, 2010

The Soundboard and Box Back


The soundboard is one of the most important, and definitely the most expensive, part of the harp.  Every moment, the strings threaten to rip the harp apart with a thousand pounds of tension, and only the soundboard stands in the way. Think about that while you're working!

Here are your templates for cutting both the soundboard and the box back, once again on a one-inch grid. Each piece is a long isosceles trapezoid, 29 inches high with base 11 1/4 and top 2 3/4 inches across. The back of the box is the one with the holes in it.

Cut the soundboard with the grain running across the short direction. For the back of the box it doesn't matter which way the grain is running.

Use a jig saw or a coping saw to cut out the holes in the back of the box, then sand all the edges so that they're smooth.  This is where I'm glad I have a Dremel.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

lookin' good, rebecca! you look so "professional" with your goggles & mask on ;-)

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

I found out that when I'm all got up in my woodworking outfit I don't suffer from allergies either.

Jen said...

Funny...the only thing that I noticed about the pictures is that nearly 20 years later...you are still sporting RL Turner attire! Too funny!

Kathy said...

Cute, Jen! & fun that you noticed ;-) Turner still rules! (it was a great school)

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

Oh Yeah! That's my totally awesome RL Turner A Capella Choir T-Shirt. Those were the good old days.