Friday, June 25, 2010

Rebecca's Reviews: Toy Story 3

Daycare goes dystopian.

When Andy packs up for college, his toys think that being donated to Sunnyside Day Care will beat being stored in the attic, or even worse, being sent to the landfill. At first, Sunnyside seems the perfect retirement home for well-loved toys. And then things go horribly wrong.

After the first two Toy Story movies, I thought the people at Pixar had exhausted the subject. What else was there to say? Ho ho! Was I ever wrong! This film has a fresh story that ties in well with the other two, and brings the series to a very touching, very satisfactory close. I laughed a lot and cried more than I expected to.

With its slower pacing, smart jokes, and prison-break parody plot, this film targets older kids and their parents more than the little ones. My four-year-old, who was riveted by "How to Train Your Dragon," wouldn't sit still for "Toy Story 3." He still says he wants to go see it again, though. Maybe I'll take him tomorrow.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

One of the many things I love about PIXAR films is their attention to detail. You can watch their films multiple times & still catch new stuff each time. I've seen TS3 three times now & loved it more each time. How often does a great idea just keep getting better in the follow-ups? Way to go, PIXAR!

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

I saw this over the weekend and LOVED it. They truly paid tribute to the first movies. PIXAR=true magicians.

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

It was great how they tied all the stories together in this third one. A truly satisfying end to the series!