Saturday, August 14, 2010

How to Plant a Pineapple

I learned this trick three years ago at the Dole Plantation, but when I tried it in Nevada the pineapple died. It missed Hawaii too much, I suppose. But now I can plant pineapples outside in my yard!

Step One: Move to Hawaii. Just kidding! You can grow a pineapple anywhere so long as you keep it in a pot and bring it inside in the winter.

Real Step One: Get a pineapple. Pick one with yellow skin and a healthy top.

Step Two: Cut the top off the pineapple. Remove any pineapple flesh, then peel off the bottom leaves to expose about half an inch of stem.

Step Three: Put the pineapple top in a jar of water and wait for a week or two.
Step Four: Pull out the pineapple top and check for new roots. Wow! I love this part. IT GROWS!

Step Five: If you're putting the pineapple in a pot, then fill your pot with a well-drained material, like cactus soil. Pineapples don't like to get too wet. If you're putting it outside, just go outside and dig a hole. It's a good idea to add some cactus soil or vermiculite to your hole so the pineapple can get a good start.



I hadn't bought a shovel yet at this point, so I just used a stick.

Step Six: Put the rooted pineapple stem in the hole and tuck the dirt back in around it. Then water it lightly. Keep the soil just slightly moist so that the roots can continue to grow.

After a few weeks, check to see if your pineapple is still growing by tugging on it. If the new roots hold it in place, things are going well. If the pineapple pops out again, then simply rinse it off and replant it. Pineapples grow slowly, and they are very tough. If the pineapple completely dries up and dies, then go buy another one and try again.

Step Seven: Wait for three years. Then, if you've kept your pineapple happy, it will be big and beautiful and make a new pineapple for you.


Want to give it a try? You can actually order a pineapple for planting on amazon.com.


Whenever I get a new pineapple at the store, I try growing the top. After a three years, I'll have a nice patch like this one. See the baby pineapple growing?




Three years is a long time to wait. Meanwhile, let's build some bookshelves! Next week: How to Build a Quick and Easy Pine Bookcase.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

May your hala kahiki grow & thrive! Thanks for the fun post. Coincidentally I have two avocado seeds sprouting forth in their pots in my sun room. Like mother, like daughter... Although I don't think mine will be producing any avocados in three years. But they do make pretty house plants until they outgrow the house...

Jonene Ficklin said...

My husband went to Lanai to work in the pineapple fields when he was 15 and had a great time. He knows how to pick a great pineapple, but nothing was as good as the ones we ate in Hawaii, fresh and oh, so good! I'd love to see follow-up pictures on how your pineapple grows. Think I might just give it a try here. Thanks for the instructions!