Thursday, October 21, 2010

Will Play for Food

Today I went to a luncheon of the BYU-Hawaii Women's Organization. They told me if I played the harp for them they'd give me free food.

I had a wonderful time. As much as I love hearing the harp when I practice in my own living room, it's even more fun when other people are listening. Even if they come up and talk to me while I'm playing prelude. My harp teacher warned me that people would do that. I've learned to smile and say, "Thank you!" without really listening, because if my brain pays attention to what they're saying I'll start missing notes. Someday, someone will come up to me and say, "Someone just ran into your car in the parking lot," and I'll smile and say, "Thank you!" and keep playing.

The whole program was looking forward to the open house for the Laie, Hawaii Temple. For two years they've been rebuilding the entire inside. We saw photos of the whole process, and also heard from a former Temple President and one of the workers on the site.

The open house starts tomorrow! Everyone is invited to tour the building before the dedication. I'll be taking my children to see it in a couple of weeks. I'm so excited! I wish all of you could come and see.

6 comments:

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

Awesome! And you're so cute!!

Jonene Ficklin said...

That is so cool! Did anyone take video? I'd love to see/hear you playing the harp. And I love the photo of the temple. We saw it when we went to Oahu about ten years ago - very beautiful.

Michelle said...

What a beautiful Temple! Thank you for sharing this with us. The San Antonio Temple has a beautiful, cascading fountain. Maybe you can come visit someday?

Kathy said...

you look so great in your harp-playing photo - you just radiate the aloha of your new home ;-) Wish I could have been there to hear you!

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

Thanks, Sue!

Jonene, if you'll go to http://gnomonkeep.org/harp/harpmus.html then you'll find some mp3 files of my playing. I should have had someone take video! I was all dressed up and that black curtain made such a nice backdrop.

I hope to visit San Antonio again someday, Michelle. I used to live in Dallas and my high school choir would go there once a year for a choir festival.

Mom-wish you were here too!

Unknown said...

I just checked in after a time to read your beatiful and stirring prose. It made me smile. When I saw the picture of you with your harp I could almost hear it's sweet, harmonious cords. I seemed, for an instant, to be transported back in time. There, sitting in your livingroom laughing with you and listening to you play, I basked in the comfort of our friendship snd felt at peace. I heard myself utter a small sigh as my smile grew. Thanks Rebbeca