Thursday, January 19, 2012

Between Drafts

When I write, I write hard. So what to do with all that energy when I finish a revision and need to wait for the dust to settle in my brain? I put the passion into a project! Or two... or maybe three.
This time I'm going to:
1. Clean the living room carpet (by hand)

Isn't it lovely?
2. Clear ground for a little vegetable garden in the back yard (also by hand)

Almost done!
 3. Read a lot of books:
-A Million Suns by Beth Revis
-The Rex Zero series by Tim Wynne-Jones
-Fly by Night by Frances Hardinge
-Revision by David Michael Kaplan
-Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson
-From the Query to the Call (again) by Elana Johnson

4. Write a few random scenes from other books I'm thinking about, plus a chapter of a group story I'm writing with my daughter's teen writing club
5. Outline my next book
6. Work on my query letter
7. Sew the patches on my new Cub Scout Committee Chair uniform. Did you know that Robert Baden-Powell was a British spy? So awesome.

Proudly wearing the Aloha Council patch
8. Arrange a harp duet with my daughter (she's already written her part) so we can perform it together in March.

There, by then I should have forgotten everything about my last draft and be ready to read it with an objective eye.

No comments: