Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A Little Evening Entertainment

Last night after we put the kids to bed my husband and I thought we might go on the internet and look at some of the promotional material for the new Indiana Jones movie. Then I noticed that my brother Jim had e-mailed asking for help in solving the following equation:

1/T=A + B ln(R) + C (ln(R))^3

My husband the math professor took one look at that and said, "No problem." Some Italian mathematician in the 1600's had already solved it. Here's the simplest of the three solutions:


You can click on that image to get a better look. Beautiful, isn't it?

4 comments:

Teric said...

Huh? I don't see the solution. Are you implying that the simplest solution is essentially nothing?

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

You may have looked at the post before I added the equation graphic. Try again.

Frozen Cacti said...

Beautiful? Huh. I'd say "jaw dropper" or "head scratcher". Althought I can appreciate how beautiful it would be to someone who actually gets it. Beautiful...funny.

Roc of the Island said...

Actually, I said 16th Century Italian, which would make it the 1500s. His name was Cardano.