Monday, December 28, 2009

Year in Review

In looking over my resolutions from last year, I did pretty well at predicting what I'd be able to accomplish in 2009. My youngest child is potty-trained, I took a family relationships course with my husband, I finished my third book and am thinking about a fourth, I've spent this Christmas season belting out the soprano lines of carols I would never have dreamed of singing in the past, I finally mastered "Caribbean Blue" on the harp, I had a garden going all year, I cut back on my outside commitments (sorry PTA and piano students!), and I learned to express my inner thoughts so well that I've irritated everyone around me.

One thing I didn't do was keep up the weekly book reviews on my book review blog. I love my book review blog, but it conflicted with one of my other goals - to do less and be more.

This year, I have one resolution. I want to obtain and maintain a change of heart. In the last few months I've realized that I judge other people too harshly. I need to look at the good in everyone and trust that everyone is doing the best they can. I need to feed and nurture and encourage instead of criticize. I need to love people as they are, not wish they were different. This is what I resolve to do in 2010.

3 comments:

Mary Gray said...

What a great goal. I need to do this as well. It IS hard to work on so many things on ourselves and then ignore any "flaws" in others. I suppose in way one it should make us more forgiving. :)

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

Absolutely! I get so proud of myself for all the nifty things I do, and then forget that it is only by the grace of God that I can do them in the first place. What really counts is the love I have for my brothers and sisters, my willingness to forgive, to help, to lift, to mend. Things I still need to work on.

Kathy said...

Simple is great!! I took a peek at your goals for 2009 - whew... made me tired just reading them! But reminded me that I have had many years like that - plan, plan, plan, hoping that with enough planning certainly SOMETHING will get done. And that's not to say that planning isn't good - it's just that with too many plans they can get so cluttered in your brain that peace can find no place there! Just think how the world would evolve into a better place if everyone spent the year seeking to have more love in their hearts!