Monday, September 8, 2008

Fall is Here (Almost)

Fall is here! I don't care that it is still 105 degrees Fahrenheit outside. They had pumpkins at Wal-mart. I bought one and left it on the table for a couple of days just to get us in the mood. Then this morning I sliced it in half. I pulled out the seeds and spread them on a pan, sprinkled them with salt, and roasted them for thirty minutes at 350 degrees. I don't ever rinse the seeds - they're tastier roasted with pumpkin juice on them. Next I put each half of the pumpkin on a big baking sheet and gave them the same treatment - except without the salt, and I roasted them for about two hours. The skin peeled off easily once the roasted pumpkin had cooled. I pureed the flesh in the blender a little at a time, and now I have several pounds of pumpkin puree to use in pies and breads and cookies. There is a pumpkin pie in the oven right now, and I am doing a happy dance in the kitchen because fall is here (almost).

3 comments:

Kira said...

I am so glad you said that! I've been pulling out the fall decorations (not that many, but still!) and didn't realize there were actual pumpkins at the store! Woo-hoo!!!! This is without a doubt my most favorite-est season!

Teric said...

Pumpkin... pie...

*DROOL*

Frozen Cacti said...

Ditto what teric said.

We are really excited for fall at our house...maybe you should come for a visit to get the full affect!?!