Monday, September 15, 2008

Fall IS Here

Something strange has come over me. On Saturday I pulled several months worth of haphazard junk out of the school supply cabinet. I threw away old flash cards and worn-out markers. Then I put the rest back neatly. I'm starting to want to organize the garage and throw out all the toys. Yes, I've got the fall cleaning bug. This must be residual instinct from the days when humans had to do more to prepare for winter than get their furnace checked. In the olden days, grain had to be harvested and stored, meat had to be killed and smoked, and wood had to be chopped. So now, pampered and helplessly dependent on modern society, all I can do with all this energy is organize the cupboards.

We got our first corn last week! The ears are small but tasty, and my children love to go out before dinner each night and find their own ear of corn to pick and husk. Less spectacular were the peaches I bought at Costco for 99 cents a pound. They turned out to be sour and mealy, so I made jam this morning and I'll make the rest into pie tonight. Nothing a little sugar can't fix.

8 comments:

becbloggin said...

that must be what my problem is! fall fever! my husband said i must be "nesting." i told him that wasn't even funny. :)

Kimbooly said...

I think the above comment is hilarious. Way too funny. I must be nesting, too, don't get any ideas, everyone.

I want to have clean in my house!

However, when I saw pears on sale today for 77 cents a pound and I thought about buying a whole bunch of them to can (I pictured how I would blanch, peel, and cut around their core), I, still in my mind, told myself that no, there's no way I'm throwing that on my plate only two weeks into school. *grin*

Here's to fall fever! I hope that it produces some results and a less cluttered house.

Hey question about your distilled water trick; if the grease stain has already set because the item of clothing has been washed before one noticed the stain, will the distilled water still work? I have three such pieces of clothing.

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

DISTILLED WATER WILL STILL WORK! I have washed something multiple times but the stain did not come out until I tried the distilled water. It worked for the turkey grease, it can work for you too!

Kira said...

It hits me every fall too ... pregnant or not! :)

Frozen Cacti said...

Gosh. I thought I was the only one that got the fall need to clean. I've been doing the same thing. Funny.

Peach jam will make a nice addition to your food storage. I should do the same. Good idea.

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

The other way I can tell that fall is here - I'm putting on my fall fat! Nothing fits! Gar!

Unknown said...

I'm in my garage too. I've been merciless in my cleaning. Nice to know i'm not alone.

Kimbooly said...

I'm so excited about the distilled water working on previously washed stains. I'm going to try in on at least 3 shirts this week!