Saturday, November 29, 2008

Found Bird!

On Friday morning, my daughter put on her roller-blades and I borrowed my husband's bike so we could go put up "Lost Bird" signs around the neighborhood. We concentrated our efforts to the south, the direction the bird would have gone if he headed straight out the garage door. There's a big freeway one block to the south, and I figured he wouldn't have gone past that because the high wall would be hard to fly over and the noise would frighten him.

We whistled and listened as we went. At one point my daughter thought she heard him answer us, so we circled the area but didn't hear him again. As I passed by all my neighbors' houses and beautiful yards I thought of how nice all the people are around here and felt sure someone would find my bird and be kind to him. Then I noticed all the cats stalking around and thought that for sure my bird had been some feline's Thanksgiving dinner.

After putting up the signs and calling the vet I thought I'd done all I could do and proceeded to try and forget about it. On Thanksgiving day no one had felt like eating any dinner, we were all so sad about the bird, but on Friday we made up for it by making a good dent in the left-overs.

On Saturday the phone rang during lunch. The man on the line said that my bird was on his roof! I got my two little boys, the bird's favorite two people in the world, and my daughter grabbed the cage and we drove south one block to the house. When we got there the man I had spoken to was standing out in his driveway. His wife and son were in the garage, with my bird sitting on the son's shoulder. The man said he had seen me putting up signs on Friday morning, and so when they noticed this funny sounding bird on their roof they gave me a call.

So today I feel like anything is possible. I've got my birdie back! He was tired, hungry, and thirsty, but very glad to see my two youngest boys again. After being out in the rain, then spending two nights out in the cold, that bird is quite the survivor. I'll have to bake those people who found him a pie or something.

5 comments:

Kimbooly said...

That's pretty amazing. I'm so glad for you. This is the bird that can sing hymns, right? Or parts of them?

Sadly, our cat has been missing for almost two weeks now.

Kathy said...

Hooray for caring neighbors! And hooray for surviving birds! What an adventure that bird has had. If only he could tell you all about it. I'm so happy for all of you. That bird has been a part of your family for a long time now. I'm sure he's glad to be back, too!

becbloggin said...

i am elated that you found kc!! i have thought about him a lot and your family worrying about him. i am very grateful for your neighbors and feel like i should bake them something too :) YAY!

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

Thanks, everyone!

I hope you find your cat, Kimberly!

Teric said...

YAY, I'm glad you were able to find your bird! Losing a pet is no fun. :(