Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Riddle for You

One morning this week I found my son sitting up in bed in his pajamas with concentration and a grin on his face. "I've got a riddle for you, mom. I just made it up." He proceeded to recite:

I am what everyone wants to find
I can be a potato or an orange rind
I can be anything that you want me to be
My start sounds like A, my end sounds like Z.

Everyone needs me, especially in school.
If you wish for good grades, I'm the number one tool.
Now all that you have to do is to try
And guess my riddle - what am I?


After several days of wrong guesses, I finally got it this afternoon. My husband got it in less than thirty seconds. Can you guess?

13 comments:

Kimbooly said...

Spoiler alert--

I think it's the alphebet; I figured it out as I was reading the poem. I can't help but feel really excited if I'm right, because I consider you and Russ to be uber-smart and would exect both of you to get it faster than me!

Kimbooly said...

Ack, I meant alphabet. I can't believe I spelled it wrong.

And great riddle, by the way. I'm proud of your child who made it up.

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

Wrong, wrong!
Yes, I tried that one too. And Russel says it took him more than thirty seconds, though I don't believe him.

Unknown said...

Argh! I just can't think of an answer!

becbloggin said...

hmmmm...i thought it was the alphabet too. what clever kids you have! i will have to keep thinking...

Kathy said...

is it a dictionary?

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

Nope! Let me give you a hint. The answer is simple and so obvious once you get it, and the riddle describes it PERFECTLY.

Remember, my kids love the Redwall books, which are full of word riddles like this one.

Teric said...

GAAAAHHH Now you've got that stuck in my head and I don't know what it is!

(I thought it was the alphabet too...)

roc of the island said...

Sometimes these riddles are hard to get. The answers don't seem to come to you. But once you figure them out, it seems obvious.

Roc of the Island said...

In my last post I practically gave you the solution.

becbloggin said...

answers?!? good one! you are all such smarties :)

Kimbooly said...

It's not the alphabet? Ok, I'll have to figure it out. Hmmm.

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

You got it, Bec! Good job!